Study Abroad, Honors Program & Other Student Experiences

Arcadia Students Make the World Their Classroom

“All lovely things have an ending” ~Conrad Aiken

7:26 pm · No Comments · Amanda Ekstein '13, First Year Study Abroad Experience

There’s nothing like the feeling of showing other people something you’ve been working on for a while. It’s terrifying, exhilarating, and joyful all at once. There’s the pleasure that comes from being able to display what you’ve done and pleasure knowing that in a short while, you can rest.

This week has been amazing enough to let me experience that twice over. This Monday,  I handed in and presented my 20-page business plan for Business Writing. Public speaking is something that I do not excel in or particularly enjoy. However, knowing that my team members and I had put the best we could into the project and worked hard all semester on it gave me great satisfaction.

Then I had Celebrating Cultures this Thursday night. Celebrating Cultures is an event the International Club hosts every fall, and it’s an amazing night. I’m so happy I was around this year to see it. They bring food and entertainment for all (for free!) in the Castle for three hours.  Celebrating Cultures is also Puro Ritmo’s big performance of the fall semester, since we don’t have our own event yet. All six of our routines were performed in public for the first time (excluding the competition team).

It was hectic and crazy, and the new members were adorable as they practiced last minute and fretted over stage space (with me alongside them, of course!).  Three hours passed away in the blink of an eye, and before I knew it, I had finished my three costume changes and walked off stage for the final time.

As I left the event, it crossed my mind that I won’t be seeing these fantastic people until next fall. It’s amazing how quickly I’ve adapted to life in Glenside, and how quickly the people and places here have grown dear to me.

When I think of all the hours of practice that the members have put in, and all the effort they’ve given to the club, I feel incredibly happy to know that they’ll have an even better spring semester. They will kill at Latin Expo next April, and I’ll be cheering them on from across the ocean.

Whenever the pictures of Celebrating Cultures goes up, I highly recommend checking them out! While Puro Ritmo shone, there were several amazing acts that I’d love to see again.

Tags:

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.