Study Abroad, Honors Program & Other Student Experiences

Arcadia Students Make the World Their Classroom

Pillow Fight Day

10:05 am · 1 Comment · First Year Study Abroad Experience, Josephine Lippincott '16 - London, England

Alright so I am currently sitting in my own house here in the United States. Its been forever since I last updated though, so I have tons to tell you all about. Therefore, even though my study abroad experience is technically over I’m going to fill you in on the last 2 amazing weeks. However, to keep the blogs at a reasonable length, I shall divide the past couple of weeks into several different blogs, that way you all don’t get bored of me halfway through each blog.

So to continue from where we last left off…. a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….

Josephine and her friends experienced a pillow fight with hundred of strangers in the middle of Trafalgar Square.  Yes.  You read that correctly.  Let me give you a few moments to absorb that concept.   I was a pillow fight in the middle of Central London.  Be jealous.  Be very jealous.

One of the senior FYSAE mentors passed word along about the event, and most of the house made sure to attend.  The pillow fight was scheduled to start at 3:00 on April 6th in Trafalgar Square.  I have to say going in, I had low expectations.  I didn’t expect many people, and I was not fully aware of what was about to happen.  When we arrived in Trafalgar Square, I’m fairly certain that my mouth dropped.

A new view at Trafalgar Square

A new view at Trafalgar Square

There were hundreds of people all over Trafalgar, many people holding pillows, many people standing on the upper platforms with cameras to witness the insanity that was about to ensue.  My favorite people were the ones that went hard.  I’m talking about people wearing onesies pajamas or people who had their faces covered in war paint.

So. Many. Pillows.

So. Many. Pillows.

We showed up around 2:30 and we all just milled around the Square.  I was confused as to how the pillow fight would start, I didn’t know if there was a pillow fight president, or a committee or if everything would just spontaneously combust.  Around a few minutes before 3, suddenly a war cry went out and everyone began raising their pillows above their head.  And then….chaos.  Pillows everywhere.  There was a mass crowd of people, all whacking each other and you couldn’t actually see anything around you.  In a matter of seconds, I had lost a few friends to the madness and couldn’t find them.  There were feathers everywhere and it was impossible to see anything except the mass of bodies around me.  My friend Becca and I lost our friends, and we decided that we needed higher ground to get pictures of the craziness.

All the feathers.

All the feathers.

Overall, the pillowfight was probably one of my favorite memories from this semester.  Throughout my senior year of high school, I loved  looking up and celebrating the different unknown holidays that occur everyday, and pillowfight day was a day I had always wanted to  celebrate on a large scale.  Through this I was able to check off one of the things on my life bucket list.

An amazing day.

An amazing day.

Tags:

One Comment so far ↓